The Good & Bad News

February 14, 2014

I know all has been quiet on the blog front. But let me assure you, life this week has been anything but quiet. This has to be hands down one of the toughest weeks I’ve been through in a very, very long time.

It all started on Monday night with the arrival of our 2nd little boy, Cullen Joseph Doyle who bounced into the world at 9.56pm, February 10th. Weighting in at 7lbs 6oz and 20.25 inches long. Very exciting time for our family. However, the night before I was discharged from the hospital, Atlanta was hit with a humongous snow and ice storm. So when we finally got ourselves home, driving approximately 5 miles per hour in horrible road conditions, we discovered we had no electricity, no heat, no cable and no internet. Fabulous. Thankfully we got the electricity and heat back on within 3 hours, but we went a further 3 days without cable and internet. Then, out of nowhere Keane picked up a vicious stomach virus that had him unable to keep down any kind of food or liquid for 3 days. And just for an extra bit of bad luck, The Husband also picked up the same virus.

So to recap, this week I had a baby, came home to a house with no electricity, heat, cable or internet. Had a projectile vomiting, very sick toddler and eventually husband on my hands. All that on top of the obvious sleep deprivation that goes along with having a newborn and somehow, miraculously, I only managed to have one and a half emotional breakdowns. See, even the nastiest of clouds has a silver lining. Things can surly only get better from here. Anyway, since I now have access to the world wide web again, here is a little visual look back at the happier moments in the week that was.

Welcome Cullen Joseph Doyle.

Who hates baths even more than he hates getting his nappy/diaper changed.

Daddy & baby.

Big Thanks go to my good friend Rachel who captured this photo of Cullen and I, and also the next few photos of Keane meeting his little brother for the first time.

Big brother & little brother.

Lots of hugs..

..and kisses.

The boys were wore out by all of the excitement, so they took over momma’s hospital bed for their first nap together.

Time for Keane and Dada to go home, but not before he gives Cullen a few more hugs and kisses.

A little photo to document the nasty snow and ice that blew into town the day we brought Cullen home.

Cullen is not impressed.

Like most newborns, my little fella has a touch of jaundice, so he spends a good part of the day half naked in front of the window soaking up some natural sunlight.

Which can be exhausting.

That random hand on the right, is Keane’s. He just loves touching Cullen’s hair.

Big stretch.

One Response to “The Good & Bad News”

  1. Angie says:

    Oh Karen! What a week you’ve had. We had to bring Finbarr home in a massive snow blizzard that hit Ireland back in 2010 so I know exactly the feeling. I remember vividly the slow drive home. How it took 4+ hours to travel a 40 minute journey. I feel your pain. At least I didn’t have a vomiting toddler or husband to deal with. Small mercies.
    Cullen is so gorgeous. Thanks for posting the photos. It’s great to get a look at them.
    Looks like Keane is besotted with his wee brother.
    Take care pet.

Leave a Reply